Grace Lutheran Church was founded in 1939 as a mission of Grace Lutheran Church in Woodstock, Illinois, as the result of the energy and efforts of the Rev. Kaufman (Pastor of Grace in Woodstock) and the Board of American Missions of the United Lutheran Church.
There were 61 charter members and services were initially held in the Acacia Masonic Hall but quickly moved to the vacated Congregational Church building at 5702 George Street. By 1968, the congregation outgrew the facility on George Street and decided to construct a new church building 6000 Broadway in Richmond, where we continue to worship today.
In July 1989, Grace began a preschool and daycare, located next to the Richmond Bank, in response to community need. In September 1991, a second preschool and daycare was started in Spring Grove, Illinois.
In 1993, Grace built an addition to the existing church building on Broadway in order to continue to its mission and to meet current and future needs of the church and community. The addition provided space for the growing preschool as well as much needed Sunday school classrooms, a kitchen and a social hall. The preschool relocated to the new addition in 1994.
Although our location, facilities and faces have changed over the years, our commitment to Christ, to one another, and to serving our community here and around the globe has remained constant. As the congregation continues to grow and change, Grace is again looking to the future, refining and deepening our commitment to mission, designing new opportunities to gather, grow and give together in grace.
Pastors who have served at Grace Lutheran Church:
- 1939 to 1947 Rev. John Gable
- 1947 to 1965 Rev. Harold L. Carlson
- 1966 to 1970 Rev. Lawrence W. Wick
- 1970 to 1975 Rev. Richard B. Monson
- 1976 to 2008 Rev. Terry A. Dufur
- 2008 to 2011 Rev, Robert Kinnear
- 2011 to present Rev. Andrew Tyrrell